DIY flip flop trunk for Honda Civic

Body kits, paint jobs, stickers, lights, bumpers etc.

Moderator:Neo

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 09 May 2007, 12:58 pm

OK guys, so i was searching the net. and i found some guy claiming he can make a flip flop trunk in 10mins and within a budget of 10$ ...so i checked his profile and i was amazed how easy it is to make a flipflop trunk. For those who do not no what it is, its the trunk that opens vertically :) ..its awesome, you can do it by yourself, and its in-expensive!!!...hope you guys will like this post. By the way it can work on any other cars which have a similar trunk setup!!..personally i still havent tried it bcoz i am in dubai and my car is in qatar. So when i get back i am gonna try it. You might not understand what is going on until you see the pics..alrite here i go -

1st thing is to go to your hardware store and buy 2 hinges. and 2 sliding locks ( i no you guys dont get it but when you see the pics ul get what i am talking about)

next go to your trunk open it up and remove the 2skrews from both sides that are holding the trunk in place! so in total you should have 4skrews in ur hands and ur trunk of its brackets!! You might have to remove some wiring thats attached with your brackets and trunk! but thats not a major issue

after removing the trunk, place your hinge on the bracket. You should place it in a way so that the actual hinge bit is just above the end of the bracket and the hinges flap is placed on the bracket (don't get it right??..wait for the pics)

after you have done that you should mark the flap of the hinge where the original screw hole is on the bracket so that you can screw the hole in later on. after that you have to mark holes on the other flap on the same hinge where the trunk is supposed to be held. (Hope you guys are getting it so far) ...just to let you no, you might have to drill extra holes on your bracket or hinge, so that they can match correctly

once that is complete you can go ahead and attach your trunk to the brackets which have the new hinges in place!!

Now you guys must have been wondering about the locks. Well the guy that did this said that you can have your trunk both ways if you want. you can have it flip flop or normal. and i am sure sometimes we would need it the normal way right? so basically you to take the sliding locks (there like the bathroom looks) and place them near the bottom of the hinge. You might have to drill a hole onto the side of the bracket and onto the body of the trunk lid (don't worry it wont damage your trunk. when you complete this you will be able to open your trunk both ways. When you want flip flop mode just open the lock..and when you want it normal way make sure its locked.

so there you go guys. this is how its supposed to be done. I no you guys might not have understood anything i said. but it can only be explained better with pictures..if anyones tries it please let me no how it went. here are the pics :)

ALi
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Honda Accord 2007

Post by ALi » 13 May 2007, 7:04 pm

yesterday i saw a toyota chaser.. its trunk opened it the same way.. chaser was looking nice (Y) .. lets see if any1 tryz it.

3mro
UB Senior Member

Post by 3mro » 14 May 2007, 12:04 am

i got the idea
and m ready to do it
but i jus cant find the hinges newhere .... :arrow:

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 14 May 2007, 10:29 am

look in hardware appliance shops...I am sure you will find them there..InshAllah i will do it soon as well..i just got back from dubai so now i have the time...3mro make sure ur trunk has the same hinges..as it might not work of its diffrent!! :) ...lemme no how it goes

WKZ
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:EP82 Starlet+Jeep Wrangler

Post by WKZ » 15 May 2007, 1:28 pm

3mro I think you should try ACE Hardware in fesival City,they should have the hinges as they have the widest range of hardware....Good luck with the trunk (Y) (Y)

grayfox666
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:Volkswagen Tin Can

Post by grayfox666 » 15 May 2007, 4:36 pm

Why would u wana do that to ur car?Are u guys planing to make ur cars like that accord in KSA that opens inside out? :D

Anyways good luck. :roll:

3mro
UB Senior Member

Post by 3mro » 15 May 2007, 4:40 pm

yea thanx alot WKZ
i got the hinges from ACE Hardware for Dhs 15
and the locks for 20

Tonight m gonna fix em ...
lets c how it turns out

3mro
UB Senior Member

Post by 3mro » 15 May 2007, 4:45 pm

Hey grayfox666
it might look good on my civic

i saw this pic and tht kinda made me more interested ...
check it out and tell me wht u think
hey Tamu, u 2 ... heres an idea on how it might look on our civic :

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 15 May 2007, 4:50 pm

lool 3mro bro ur lucky you found those hinges...

i got the locks last night. i practically checked all the hardware shops in Qatar, but to my luck i was not able to find the hinges!!...you wana DHL them to me bro :P ..hahahaha

just be careful when you do it..and trust me its gonna look SICK..i cant wait to try it on my car :D

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 15 May 2007, 5:04 pm

WKZ whats your ride??..i am guessing honda civic??..is it modded???

3mro
UB Senior Member

Post by 3mro » 15 May 2007, 7:51 pm

Tamu wrote: just be careful when you do it..and trust me its gonna look SICK..i cant wait to try it on my car :D
wht do u mean by its gonna look SICK ??? :?

Eleanor
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Honda civic 99 EK-Evo 8

Post by Eleanor » 15 May 2007, 10:09 pm

3mro wrote:
Tamu wrote: just be careful when you do it..and trust me its gonna look SICK..i cant wait to try it on my car :D
wht do u mean by its gonna look SICK ??? :?
"SICK" looking Hott ....

i dont know if it would look good on my shape body ... 99-00
i think at present it looks pretty good already ....
SD -

WKZ
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:EP82 Starlet+Jeep Wrangler

Post by WKZ » 16 May 2007, 12:08 am

I still don't have a car at the moment :( :( but drive my mom's honda CR-V .....I am just not getting an approval from my dad for the love of my life '96 Nissan Gloria GT(VQ30DET) because my dad is really scared of all this importing from outside and alien to all of it so happy with the CR-V rite now!!

mikeh
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Lexus IS300

Post by mikeh » 16 May 2007, 8:38 am

Don't worry, many people here don't have their own car.

You'd be suprised who, usually those who speak the loudest.

grayfox666
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:Volkswagen Tin Can

Post by grayfox666 » 16 May 2007, 7:39 pm

3mro wrote:Hey grayfox666
it might look good on my civic

i saw this pic and tht kinda made me more interested ...
check it out and tell me wht u think
hey Tamu, u 2 ... heres an idea on how it might look on our civic :

I was joking man.Its just that i wouldnt wana do it to my car.Not my kind of think.
But lets see how t looks like when u finish.Post some pics.

And be carefull, dont heat ur head when u are getting something from the trunk. :D (Y)