DIY guide - Headlamps civic 1999

Body kits, paint jobs, stickers, lights, bumpers etc.

Moderator:Neo

Eleanor
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Honda civic 99 EK-Evo 8

Post by Eleanor » 25 May 2009, 1:45 pm

hey guys .... i finally decided to remove my projectors as many have suggested i should. they were pretty much dead anyway ....
here goes ....

Tool used : OVEN :)
Throw away rags
Flat Head screw Drivers
Alcohol (i used my sister's nail polish remover, perfume)
Scrubber (dish washing scrubber, used instead of sand paper)
Spray Paint - Heat Resistant
Silicon
Meguiar's paint cleaner

This is the original and what it looked like before the transformation.

ok, so i cleant them lightly and kept the Oven on at 200 Deg for 15mins. while the oven was on, i used a flat head screw driver to lift a bit of the clamps/clips so it just comes off after its heated. Be careful not to brake the plastic, as i broke one.

after the 15mins were up, the lights were placed with the front faced down.i used a Rag on the Turkey Tray as shown here :

Set the timer to 10mins again with 200Deg .... i had to check it every 2mins as i was to scared the front would just melt and Collapse. so keep checking it to make sure tht doesnt happen.

After those minutes are up, use rags to remove the Lamps on to the floor to have a good grip. as they are hot. A bit of force is required to pull them apart, and should get something like this :

take the 2 screws apart holding the chrome housing to the plastic panel.
ok, now get ur alcohol (nail polish remover :)) and ur scrubber. i used 2 types of scrubber i found at home.the real Harsh one and the delicate one.
start to use the polish remover with the harsh scrubber at 1st. u should see the chrome starting to fade etc. Do the corners well, as i was told the paint wont stick otherwise. so make sure you get the corners cleant well.
Many dont tell you this, but the part you are scrubbing is EXTREMLY DELICATE. it can crack due to a slight over pressure. Be careful.

there you can see the chrome getting rubbed off. i rubbed as much as possible so the chrome would come off, followed by the less harser scrubber to even things out.a better texture underneath.
Heres a Closeup :

One done and one to go :

I gave it an hour and i had a shower with the Housing. you dont have to do tht is u dont want too. LOL .....
i used just water to get the debri off and keep it smooth and clean.

The Next day it was ready to paint - i used the Nail polish remover once again with a fresh peice of cloth to rub it all over. Keep it for a few mins to dry and Ready to paint. I used Dupli Color Gun Metal Grey for my setup, 600Deg heat resistant.choose as you wish for yours.
with it Dried etc and with no Particles etc on it, the first Coat was given.

First Coat :

20 Mins break was given until the 2nd coat
Second Coat :

So it was kept over night to Dry well . The next day i focused on my Faded front clear plastic panel.
Used Meguiar's paint cleaner to rub all that Dead Skin off.
Be careful while installing the painted housing to the plastic panel as scratches could occur to the painted surface, tht could be pretty irritating.

Here it is : painted, Installed and Polished :

Put everything bak to the housing etc. to keep away dust from entering.
Reheat the Oven - 200Deg, 20 mins.
Put in you 1st lamp, with front facing down, on to a rag.
in 10mins remove you headlamps n start to put some force on it. many Use clamps etc to keep it tight, i used my Weight, Gently ofcourse on each side. I had to reheat it for 3-4 times so i could put my weight on each side for a few mins.careful not to keep the weight on the Middle of the housing as it may crack the plastic etc. Patience is a good virtue here.

Next, make sure all the clips are in place and pressed till its Best.
I then Used my Own silicon Bond just incase. Applied it all around the Lamp along the old Silicon area. Use a peice of Rag to flatten it out and fill any holes you see near the Clips. Few hours to Dry and your set.

and it was accomplished :

Thanks to Honda-acura.net for their help,
would love to help anyone who tried to do this. Its not that hard, the hardest part is getting the Silicon to bond again. but it turned pretty good for me.
If i left out anything, please do let me know. thanks.
cant wait to PUT EM ON !!!!!
HID ... mayb :)
Hope this was educational.

SD -
Last edited by Eleanor on 25 May 2009, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GT-T88urbo

Post by GT-T88urbo » 25 May 2009, 1:58 pm

Deserves a Sticky (Y)

vti_me
UB Dedicated Member

Post by vti_me » 25 May 2009, 1:59 pm

Gr88 info buddy

~kraZzY_DOo~
UB Dedicated Member
Vehicle:Hyundai Tiburon 2004

Post by ~kraZzY_DOo~ » 25 May 2009, 2:36 pm

excellent!!! :D
dude u can make money by making this as ur business! :P
by the way, do u know how to deamber headlights??

Eleanor
UB Special Member

Post by Eleanor » 25 May 2009, 2:49 pm

hahaha ..... i sure will try too ...

deamber ? u meant like removing the amber ? to remove it - im sure u could try the same remedy and it will work. Light Scrubbing and the Cutex nail polish remover.
It will work for sure, making it clear.

SD -

~kraZzY_DOo~
UB Dedicated Member

Post by ~kraZzY_DOo~ » 25 May 2009, 4:22 pm

Eleanor wrote:hahaha ..... i sure will try too ...

deamber ? u meant like removing the amber ? to remove it - im sure u could try the same remedy and it will work. Light Scrubbing and the Cutex nail polish remover.
It will work for sure, making it clear.

SD -

well mine isnt deambering. its de-reding! :P
i'v got this thing on my door, i dont know what its called. but the light comes on, when the door is open. and that light is got a red thing. i wana get the red thing off. its the same thing as deambering a headlight.
hehe, i hate 2 ask u. but do u mind doing it 4 me?? u'r getting a good customer to start! :P
never miss this golden opportunity :P
but only if u can, if u feel its risky, no problem at all. nehad recently showed me a shop in qusais, where they do it. but they'r irani's. i dont trust them much. :|

Rogue
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:Infiniti G35 06

Post by Rogue » 25 May 2009, 5:25 pm

hahaha ... if u see a sudden rush for nail polish by young and old men ... do not panic ... its jus eleanors stupid idea !!! LOL ... good work bro ... u did it very clean and of course urs head are looking really neat ... thats the reward of DIY ... !!

Eleanor
UB Special Member

Post by Eleanor » 25 May 2009, 8:05 pm

LOL rogue !!!! rogue if u need to Rub your eye brows off - let me know ... ;P

well Krazzy doo , i would lov to do it, but i need to 1st find other DIY on this. i cant simply take ur part and do tht.
Infact, y would u want to remove that Red, afterall its on the door. it might look crappy if it was clear. ill let u know though.

SD -

Alpha
Adminstrator
Vehicle:RNN14 + JZZ31 + CT9A

Post by Alpha » 25 May 2009, 9:30 pm

Excellent results and a great guide! Stickied!

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 25 May 2009, 10:08 pm

Good JOB!! It takes alot of confidence and guts to pull of a DIY like that!!.I would probably start crying from stressing out hahaha!!!.....If I don't get the black housing JDM lights I will try this out!!

Eleanor
UB Special Member

Post by Eleanor » 25 May 2009, 10:16 pm

Thankyou Guys ...... appreciate it
it was scary at first but once you get into it, it goes smoothly.
Just have to be real delicate with the part tht must be painted.
i actually got a little finger nail size crack and i didnt even know..... until later

Tamu, i would recommend you DIY .... ur more satisfied this way.

SD -

~kraZzY_DOo~
UB Dedicated Member

Post by ~kraZzY_DOo~ » 26 May 2009, 8:45 am

@ tamu: i would say try it urself. less waste on money, and more satisfaction. :D PLUS the most of all....ur improving on ur gutts :P

@ eleanor: the reason y im trying this is cuz, i wana try somthing stupid. :D but if at all it doesnt work, im planning on to put a blue bulb, as im trying to make my interiors blue. i'v already got blue interior neon lights :D

Tamu
UB Special Member

Post by Tamu » 26 May 2009, 9:10 am

Eleanor, are you concerned about your headlights condensing? Last thing I want is my lights fogging up after a wash. I was thinking of doing this today but I realized my lights are 96-98 and I need 99-00 headlights for my conversion. The real JDM black house lights are bloody $450 :S....I need to pay a visit to the junk yard lol and find a set of 99-00 lights and try this...

~kraZzY_DOo~
UB Dedicated Member

Post by ~kraZzY_DOo~ » 26 May 2009, 10:07 am

$450???? fish!!!

Eleanor
UB Special Member

Post by Eleanor » 26 May 2009, 8:38 pm

~kraZzY_DOo~ wrote:@ tamu: i would say try it urself. less waste on money, and more satisfaction. :D PLUS the most of all....ur improving on ur gutts :P

@ eleanor: the reason y im trying this is cuz, i wana try somthing stupid. :D but if at all it doesnt work, im planning on to put a blue bulb, as im trying to make my interiors blue. i'v already got blue interior neon lights :D
krazy do ... if u doing this for fun ... then i would advice u to try it urself - dont u think ? its just a size of the palm on ur hand.
I need to Deamber my rear tailights, as well as the reverse light and trying to get it Clear. :D - i found a DIY on this but i lost the link, im trying to get it, when i do - ill post it here for u to take a look ........

Tamu .... lights fogging up ... well ur extremly right about tht.thats why i applied my own silicon over the old silicon - round the head lamp. iv just instALled it today ..... following a full car polish. it was time for it.
im posting up a Pic .........

SD -