Lets talk offroad tyres

Wheels, tires, suspensions, brakes etc.

Moderator:Neo

UAE NEWBIE
UB Dedicated Member

Post by UAE NEWBIE » 18 Jul 2012, 3:42 pm

What do people recommend for sand, for rocks (oman terrain) and a compromise of a mixture of the 2 terrains.

Also suggestions on price and place to buy would be nice.

As Far as I can tell, the slick style desert tyre is best for the dunes. From What I have seen they are around 600aed a tyre (or I could be getting expensive quotes). I do not know but would guess these tyres would suck on rocky terrain and possible get chewed up quite hard.

All terrains from some reports are horrible in the sand, however many wrangers run these. But it could be form over function as wranglers look cool with these tyres.

What are peoples opinions and preferences? Discuss.

affsal
UB Junior Member
Vehicle:Accord

Post by affsal » 19 Jul 2012, 8:51 am

I would recommend Cooper ST for you or the Cooper STT's for rock terrain and a combination of sand, rocks and on road.

The prices range from 600+ and quite good as am using the STT now, quite noisy on road though it serves me well on all the above terrain.

You could get it cheap from the dealer itself which is Renaissance Tyre Trading Centre located Opposite Galadari Motors, Al Ittihad Road, Dubai.

If you want for something lighter i hear good reviews on Yokohama Geolander too.. :?

UAE NEWBIE
UB Dedicated Member

Post by UAE NEWBIE » 19 Jul 2012, 11:01 am

hmmm interesting

I looked up the cooper stt's

basically max 5 star rating...

mud 4star
street 4 star
trail 4 star

sand 3 star
and rock 3 star

It nice it has the 4 star trail rating but the 3 star sand and rock is a bit of a worry

Although the bf goodrich all terrain k/o only got:

Sand 3 star
rock 2 star
trail 3 star
and mud also 2 star

Now the cooper st got

4 star for rock, mud and trail

3 star for sand, but much worse onroad.

The micky thompson baja claw seems to get good reviews for what I want.

Sand rock and trail all 4 star

street and mud are 3 star

The yoko geolander also get 4 star for everything bar street.

another option from the ratings are the khumo road venture mt tyres

street and sand and trail all 4 stars

everything else 3. Also with khumos being made in korea they should be a cheap option.

zeemmee
UB Dedicated Member
Vehicle:03Patrol_09Pajero3.0v6swb[late]

Post by zeemmee » 19 Jul 2012, 11:14 am

I suggest Mudterrains km2 From BF Goodrich, these are the best tires for dunes, mud, snow, As well as the road , Unlike other offroad tires which are heavy (eat the car's power), Noisy ( on Road) these are exceptional. Sand tires,Sumitomo Shaheen,Siam are thin & pop out easily in desert, + if you are doing a technical drive on dunes your basically done for the day. Unless An expert in dune Bashing stay away from sand slicks.

Mudterrains are used all over the Us,Australia, where offroading is very heavy Hooby'ed.
Most patrols use them, DAKAR rally - Most of the cars use these, Hell yes Those Dune climbing Patrols in Taal Moreb Dune in Liwa use these, Want the price, for 15 inch rim 800 per piece. For 16 inch rim nearly 1500 for one. + these are light weight & look awesome.
icon-builds-the-cj3b-dog-for-the-real-world-user.jpg
CJ3B

affsal
UB Junior Member
Vehicle:Accord

Post by affsal » 19 Jul 2012, 11:53 am

Great Info Zeemeee. Do you know where can i get these tyres? I want a 32x11.5xR15 5 Nos.

Also i would be intrested to know the price for BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A® KO

UAE NEWBIE
UB Dedicated Member

Post by UAE NEWBIE » 19 Jul 2012, 2:16 pm

zeemmee wrote:I suggest Mudterrains km2 From BF Goodrich, these are the best tires for dunes, mud, snow, As well as the road , Unlike other offroad tires which are heavy (eat the car's power), Noisy ( on Road) these are exceptional. Sand tires,Sumitomo Shaheen,Siam are thin & pop out easily in desert, + if you are doing a technical drive on dunes your basically done for the day. Unless An expert in dune Bashing stay away from sand slicks.

Mudterrains are used all over the Us,Australia, where offroading is very heavy Hooby'ed.
Most patrols use them, DAKAR rally - Most of the cars use these, Hell yes Those Dune climbing Patrols in Taal Moreb Dune in Liwa use these, Want the price, for 15 inch rim 800 per piece. For 16 inch rim nearly 1500 for one. + these are light weight & look awesome.
icon-builds-the-cj3b-dog-for-the-real-world-user.jpg
Appreciate your opinion. Especially on the slicks as I know sweet FA about them. Interesting you say they pop easy as I have seen a car run up on the dyno with them and delaminate very easy.

I have actually used the km2 back in Australia and in the mud they rock %#%$! However....for this country the more I think about it the M/T KM seems like the better tire. First up the KM is better on road than the KM2 (The KM2 is quite aggressive). The KM is also better in the sand, the only area the KM2 really outshines the KM is mud, and the chances of encountering mud in this country are about the same as Britney spears releasing a new single that somehow makes it to the top of the charts.

Now the interesting thing is that the the Kumho Road venture is almost a direct copy of the BF KM.

http://www.kumhotire.com/tire/tire_deta ... prdt_id=53

The KM is slightly more aggressive deep part of the sidewall suggesting that it would be slightly better with large rock climbing. Most people using the Kumho say that they perform almost exactly the same as the KM just at a much cheaper price. With great onroad manners as well, Just like the BF Goodrich.

The Kumho would be around half the price of the BF Goodrich KM and I have also used Kumho tires on sports cars before and they have always been a good bang for buck performer. They are not comparable to cheap Chinese tires.

What do you think?

zeemmee
UB Dedicated Member

Post by zeemmee » 19 Jul 2012, 2:28 pm

affsal wrote:Great Info Zeemeee. Do you know where can i get these tyres? I want a 32x11.5xR15 5 Nos.

Also i would be intrested to know the price for BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A® KO
You can get 33x10.5x r 15 from ardh al emarat after crossing sahara centre comming from dubai going to sharjah. 850 or so.. will be the price u can squeez it down to 650-700 per tyre also he keeps the a/t . I dont remember the price may be a 100 aed less than the km2 M/t. :smile:

zeemmee
UB Dedicated Member

Post by zeemmee » 19 Jul 2012, 2:39 pm

UAE NEWBIE wrote:for this country the more I think about it the M/T KM seems like the better tire. First up the KM is better on road than the KM2 (The KM2 is quite aggressive). The KM is also better in the sand, the only area the KM2 really outshines the KM is mud,

Now the interesting thing is that the the Kumho Road venture is almost a direct copy of the BF KM.
Agree There :smile: My friend used to drive on km's on his YJ jeep, but due to there unavailability he switched to km2 & he too agrees with us.

Regarding Kumho's have seen many people using 'em but never took those tyres seriously, but after seeing their replica of Good ol' Km I AM IMPRESSED.

Was searching shj before a month for km2 for my patrol, 2000 & 1500/- were the prices i got.So searched on ebay which ended up costing around 6000+ including delivery. Had limited budget so bought used cooper stt's from a friend :( for 1500 for 4. Luckly its my second car for dune bashing so my ears are safe at the moment :wink:

UAE NEWBIE
UB Dedicated Member

Post by UAE NEWBIE » 22 Jul 2012, 2:13 pm

zeemmee wrote:
UAE NEWBIE wrote:for this country the more I think about it the M/T KM seems like the better tire. First up the KM is better on road than the KM2 (The KM2 is quite aggressive). The KM is also better in the sand, the only area the KM2 really outshines the KM is mud,

Agree There :smile: My friend used to drive on km's on his YJ jeep, but due to there unavailability he switched to km2 & he too agrees with us.

Regarding Kumho's have seen many people using 'em but never took those tyres seriously, but after seeing their replica of Good ol' Km I AM IMPRESSED.

Was searching shj before a month for km2 for my patrol, 2000 & 1500/- were the prices i got.So searched on ebay which ended up costing around 6000+ including delivery. Had limited budget so bought used cooper stt's from a friend :( for 1500 for 4. Luckly its my second car for dune bashing so my ears are safe at the moment :wink:

Yeah depending on price I am keen to give the kumho's a try. Just a matter of finding a good place to purchase from. Heard nothing but good things so far. So your mate with the YJ prefered the KM's?

Back home (Australia) tyres are also very expensive also so If I couldn't find a good deal I would always gibe tirerack a go. They normally have good prices. E.g. KM2's in 33x10.5 are $792U.S. for a set of 4 plus shipping (which wont be too cheap).

UAE NEWBIE
UB Dedicated Member

Post by UAE NEWBIE » 25 Jul 2012, 10:52 am

A mate and I are heading out to the mountains this weekend where its cooler. If some guys off here want to join, just shoot a pm