HELP NEEDED:BASIC RULES OF MODIFYING A CAR IN DUBAI

This is the local/regional car enthusiasts forum. Talk about anything related to regional news & updates.
Accord98
Vehicle:Toyoda

Post by Accord98 » 13 May 2007, 6:51 pm

Lol... RTA will never tell you that it is legal. :wink:

Putting it simply - you cant modify your car.

If u want to take the risk, you have to be a bit smarter and have a little more $$ (you may have to remove these mods for yearly passing).

For instance, if u want to modify ur engine with the basic intake and exhaust - dont get the loudest exhaust, with a 4 inch muffler and drive at WOT all day... ur going to get caught.

The general idea should be to get your car looking & sounding as stock as possible. Then there is a good chance that you wont get pulled over & that ur car will pass each year.

ansarijr
UB Junior Member

Post by ansarijr » 13 May 2007, 7:38 pm

thanx a lot mate...

guess that is the only way around....

cheers

flying_fenix
UB Junior Member

Post by flying_fenix » 01 Jun 2007, 4:17 pm

Hi everyone....just wanted to know....

what engine modifactions could i do to my car and still get away with the yearly MOT???
ie: air filter, turbo etc......

thanx

Sparky
UB Advanced Member

Post by Sparky » 17 Oct 2007, 4:03 pm

You'd get away with driveline mods like lowering springs, strut bars and sway bars.
I would think the only performance mod you could easilly get away with would be intakes, like a CAI or SRI. A retuned ECU shouldn't be a problem either. With headers and exhaust, it's a matter of luck. in most cases you wouldn't be able to pass the car.

If you wanna go forced induction (supercharger or turbocharger), you'll have to sacrifice by maybe renewing your car every two years and getting the forced induction components removed before and put back after renewal.

I have some mild mods (with some "crazy" ones on their way here) but to renew my registration, the only thing i took off was my exhaust, and I put them back on after renewing.

If you don't drive stupid like you've got bits of chilli in the wrong body parts, then the cops won't stop you. The cops will only stop you if you give them a traffic violation-related reason to stop you. Ever since RTA took over, cops only stop modded cars when they drive like they need to take a dump bad.

a7med
UB Dedicated Member

Post by a7med » 22 Dec 2007, 9:16 pm

Best turbo kit I've seen, and also gives chance to 'get away with it' on street and registration is here http://www.ststurbo.com , you can locate it in anyplace in your car, put it in the trunk, behind your seat, and make vents to get air from outside. (Y)

prossett
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:Honda Jazz

Post by prossett » 22 Dec 2007, 11:03 pm

Very interesting post, ahmedhamid! 8)

Universal Single Turbo System - Tuner
Price: $2,995.00

The STS Universal Turbo System comes complete with everything you need to install the turbocharger in a remote location on virtually any vehicle.

Source: http://www.ststurbo.com/uni

So, you'd need to tap a pipe into the exhaust, oil hose from/to engine, and route a conduct to the intake. Not bad! (Y)

Lots of places for leaks, though...

TNT
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Jeep Wrangler

Post by TNT » 23 Dec 2007, 10:38 am

I'd still be more comfortable with a turbo under the hood.

imran4u
UB Junior Member
Vehicle:Mistubishi Lancer LS Coupe

Post by imran4u » 13 Aug 2008, 5:49 pm

wht the crap....

papahh_bil
UB Junior Member
Vehicle:09 Lancer GT

Post by papahh_bil » 20 Jan 2009, 8:47 pm

great info hossein!!! but i just wanna clarify a few things.

1. what about a cold air intake or any sports filter? is this illegal?

2. is covering the windshield completely with tint, even a light one, illegal?

3. for lowering, u mentioned that the car should be more than 4 inches from the ground so that police don't stop me. what about in the registration of the car? if it's higher than 4 inches will they approve the registration? I heard some people put the stock springs n shocks back on before they register.. this is too much of a hassle coz ur gonna have to have the car aligned and cambered every time u register. Thanks!!!

Sy.
UB Dedicated Member

Post by Sy. » 05 Mar 2009, 4:16 pm

not knowing the Dubai laws i cant comment but point 2 , covering the windscreen . i would say this is illegal as i would have thought anywhere in the world would say no as its the bit you look out of and they are not goign to allow you to cover it with tint .

why are the laws on Modding so tight ?

A7med - you want to put a turbo behind your seat .. are you insane lol it would last about 5 min !

Universal turbo's never come with all the parts .. i dont see an ECU or boost controller on there ... or an Intercooler . fuel rail . injectors , fuel pump ?

toleg
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:honda

Post by toleg » 05 Mar 2009, 9:59 pm

golden rule

dont get caught :D

.Zohair
UB Dedicated Member
Vehicle:Mazda 6 [2005-Silver]

Post by .Zohair » 29 May 2009, 4:38 am

toleg wrote:golden rule

dont get caught :D
I lol'd

freejkhateer
UB Junior Member

Post by freejkhateer » 29 Apr 2010, 6:56 pm

can anyone give me modification tips for my 2009 honda civic pearl white fulloptions

denver
UB Junior Member

Post by denver » 29 Apr 2010, 8:00 pm

modify the exterior get permission n no problem at all. the only problem is no modification on engine as it wont pass the car

sedemeh
UB Junior Member

Post by sedemeh » 15 Sep 2012, 1:32 am

Hey guys, how about Hid lights (xenon lights), rims?