HELP NEEDED:BASIC RULES OF MODIFYING A CAR IN DUBAI

This is the local/regional car enthusiasts forum. Talk about anything related to regional news & updates.
Alpha
Adminstrator
Vehicle:RNN14 + JZZ31 + CT9A

Post by Alpha » 19 Feb 2007, 12:14 pm

aecoss wrote:1.Two tone paint
4.And as of mid 2006, changing the colour is a little more complicated as you need to tell them that ur changing it...and bring the car before and after, so they can put the change on file...
These two go together. :)
2.Vinyls
Paper/sticker vinyls are not allowed whatsoever. You're permitted to 'airbrush' on the car in which case the colors on the Mulkiya will be changed accordingly. For eg. the just blaze supra -legally- has two colors on the Mulkiya, red/black, yet the wicked paintjob.
3.Really Loud exhausts...apparently there is a scale but they dont really *know* how to implement it...So if it looks BIG, its out...
That would be... really loud AND customized exhausts. I don't know about the scale but in that case, the GT3s and Mustangs are still way too loud.
From what little I know, you need Mulkiya (if that's what it's called) for a few things:
ps. Mulkiya = Vehicle Registration Card. You need that for -everything- :)

stickied.

mikeh
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Lexus IS300

Post by mikeh » 19 Feb 2007, 3:00 pm

Sam wrote:That would be... really loud AND customized exhausts. I don't know about the scale but in that case, the GT3s and Mustangs are still way too loud.
Make that just customized. A customized exhaust is not allowed, and people usually change the exhaust to be louder, not the other way around.

aecoss
UB Junior Member

Post by aecoss » 19 Feb 2007, 7:01 pm

Oh loll....sorry my Arabic isn't that great...so I had no idea what Mulkiya actually MEANT :P

Thanks for adding to my limited knowledge on the other shtuff as well...

Now only if I could get my license and get a ride... :(

usaf23
UB Special Member
Vehicle:2016 Jeep SRT

Post by usaf23 » 21 Feb 2007, 9:52 am

some people have special permission frm the RTA & police permission to modify..
what about them??
can they pass the car with the mods on them??

mikeh
UB Super Member

Post by mikeh » 21 Feb 2007, 10:30 am

usaf23 wrote:can they pass the car with the mods on them??
Sure, many claim to have the "wasta". But no, not as exotic as they all make it sound like. The people checking the cars are not usually arabic speaking anyways :D

Alpha
Adminstrator

Post by Alpha » 21 Feb 2007, 7:24 pm

usaf23 wrote:some people have special permission frm the RTA & police permission to modify..
what about them??
can they pass the car with the mods on them??
There is no such thing as "special permission" from the RTA. The ones who are able to pass their cars do so either by swapping in a stock engine or by providing a valid reason.

Of course not many people like the Skyline and Supra owners we have featured on the website do so, yet, if you know some important people from the Government, anything and everything is possible at very little or no expense at all. It's natural.

Bhongskie
UB Junior Member

Post by Bhongskie » 01 Mar 2007, 12:13 am

Sam wrote:
mikeh wrote:
Sam wrote:if they implemented the rule in a more decent way.
could you elaborate?
Tune your cars, behave decently on public roads, drive safe, take it to the tracks,
enjoy the sport, enjoy life.

The rule clearly permitted for aftermarket products on -any- vehicle, on just one condition
- decent behavior. From what happened at famous spots like Mamzar soon after the rule was announced, it seemed the people were no better than before.

They gave us all a chance... some of us just screwed it up.

back on topic.
bottom line is......it should not be the car to get a harsh punishment, it's the drivers who got those kind of attitudes.

Alpha
Adminstrator

Post by Alpha » 01 Mar 2007, 4:18 pm

Bhongskie wrote:bottom line is......it should not be the car to get a harsh punishment, it's the drivers who got those kind of attitudes.
That's another good point. Though the authorities confiscate the responsible drivers' vehicles for a limited period of time, the drivers are still set free with a payment of very little fine. Someone owning a 100k worth car wouldn't mind paying a 1000+ fine for all the mess that they make. To improve the situation, the drivers must be treated more harshly than they currently treat their vehicles; heavy fines, jailing conditions, license confiscation for a longer period of time etc.

mikeh
UB Super Member

Post by mikeh » 01 Mar 2007, 4:41 pm

Sam wrote:To improve the situation, the drivers must be treated more harshly than they currently treat their vehicles; heavy fines, jailing conditions, license confiscation for a longer period of time etc.
They try, but then others don't appreciate that.

Nismo
UB Senior Member

Post by Nismo » 01 Mar 2007, 6:39 pm

if u see rak they av made a place called awafi ... whoeva wants to have , simplay go there go do anyting u want ... another place in rak its near to the doc yard .. a very wide open road ... for drags racing ppl go there ... their cops r smart they givin a place to guys ... why cant dubai do that ? they got hell lot of space ?
and talkin about moded cars .. arp owner he got him number place sitin in home lol ... he didn even take his car to maroor .. am talkin bout his skunk2 r32

Bhongskie
UB Junior Member

Post by Bhongskie » 01 Mar 2007, 6:56 pm

Sam wrote:
Bhongskie wrote:bottom line is......it should not be the car to get a harsh punishment, it's the drivers who got those kind of attitudes.
That's another good point. Though the authorities confiscate the responsible drivers' vehicles for a limited period of time, the drivers are still set free with a payment of very little fine. Someone owning a 100k worth car wouldn't mind paying a 1000+ fine for all the mess that they make. To improve the situation, the drivers must be treated more harshly than they currently treat their vehicles; heavy fines, jailing conditions, license confiscation for a longer period of time etc.
very well said... i agree to that! (Y)

Hosrom
UB Dedicated Member

Post by Hosrom » 17 Mar 2007, 1:50 pm

300-400fwp on a stock civic engine is not easy, sounds like some serious work has been done, like turbo, exhaust, cylinder head, bigger valves, fuel pump, fuel pressure, injectors, intake manifold and possibly NOS.

I would not trust ANY shops in Dubai, or in the whole ME for upgrading anything, since they do not use a wideband. And when they do, they don't adjust the fuel maps. Do you ever wonder why some skylines and supras on the street have so much black smoke from their exhaust? that is because they are running very rich, sure, it produces more torque, but it also washes away the oil from the pistons and cylinders, thus give it 2-3 months and the block is toast.

Another problem, no one adjusts the engine timing. I have a friend with a supera T, his car was a blast (550-ish whp), but the drivability was crap. He has the Motec tec3 ECU, so i got a EGT and saw the temps running at 1,965F, which is higher than normal, but still under the read zone. After going on supra forums, getting some new maps from the people there (very nice forum) and saw that the timing maps were drastically different, some maps were 22-30 degrees more advanced timing, the EGT's dropped down to 1,580F (much better) and the car was silky smooth.

Anyways, if you tune the car, make sure you get the right tools (wideband, egt gauge and a piggy back or ecu), head to the dyno and rent it for a day (expensive but you tune everything and make the car run super smooth).

PS: Just because you have 1,000hp doesn't mean you have the meaniest ride, i saw a claimed '980whp' skyline get completely smashed with a 993TT 750hp Gemballa. Tuning and hardware are very essential.

Hosrom
UB Dedicated Member

Post by Hosrom » 17 Mar 2007, 1:57 pm

Sorry for the double post,. i just wanted to add something

Those cars that spit out huge fireballs, they are nothing but trouble, there is too much fuel AND the timing is set too much retard. One retards timing to run more boost, but since the fireball is huge, the EGT's are seriously high, thus causing the unburned fuel to ignite in the exhaust, which also cause the valves, pistons, rods to start over heating and siezing and possibly melting.

Some backfire is fine, you get that with running a little rich (AFR of 12.0 or so), but a fireball is a clear sign of retard timing.......

It's just a matter of time before that engine goes up for sale.

hossain
UB Junior Member

Post by hossain » 30 Mar 2007, 5:35 pm

[quote="blakat"]Salam Alikkum, i am totally new to this.. :D but i am so crazy about cars and the modifications, my dream car , i want to buy , inshaallah n chnage in to a lion in HONDA CIVIC 99 HATCHBACK. (Y)

Alaikum. Salaam....
It seems that u r at the right place for advice but you came to buy a radio and the salesmen are showing you fairness cream! anywayz it is well said that are limits to car modifications.civic is a very gud choice...
the rules are:
1.the exaust cannot make high noise..tht means u can fix a 3.5 inch pipe but cannot fix without silencers..there r few blockers which u can fix n open anytime.
2.the body kit can be fixed but make sure the height frm the ground is more thn 4 inch. minimum.before u fix or make the kit, buy the rims and tyres and set the height of the gap between tyres and body.
3.paint of the car is not a problem..if u want to change te colour, all you hav to do is get a paperwork done frm traffic dept. make sure you indicate in the paper if you gonna hav two colours on the car..tell them both da colours.this is best during the registration period of ur car so u hav the colors written on ur mulkiya.so u dont hav to find a separate paper whn da cops stop u!
4.turbo kits cannot be installed on dubai reg. cars.tht means when u heavily modify da exterior the cops catch u da most n der r chances of opening up ur hood and the turbo to be seen by the cops.so it is recomended tht is da exterior is modified dont install turbo...turbo can be installed in a normal stock car n never be caught!
5.any type of interior mod. can be done.but remember to put down the volume of ur woofers in the residence areas during the night.it is like calling the cops to catch n fine u!
6.neons under the cars r not allowed. i mean u can fix them but cannot switch them on during driving.only when the car is stopped because it is said to be distracting the other drivers!!der4 illegal
7.remember not to exceed the limit of tinting in ur car.u can be fixing vinyls to make it look better.
8.lambo doors are no problem..better go for the universal lambo doors tht u can make the doors open both the ways!

Actually these rules does not go for all the cars,because in uae the cops alwayz disturb normal cars which r modified but not the sports cars! alwayz tell you tht this car is not a sports car its just a sedan.note: u r not allowed to modify the exterior in such a way tht the car cannot be recognised by the majority.tht is the limit to exterior modificaton.remember to get a clean job done to the exterior.
Allrite bro..i hope this helps..n remember if u r modifying the exterior think twice before going to Ajman...n u cannot drive fast in most roads here..all the mountain like humps will be a problem..go for the kits which wont take u 2 da garage every week!! Dont speed a lot!!
keep dis car as a weekend car..cant use for daily work!beacuse u never know any time any cop in bad mood can impound ur car for any reasons!
cheerz!! Ma3assalaamah...

methelover
UB Junior Member

Post by methelover » 30 Mar 2007, 8:32 pm

c man the rules r simple in dubai u can do any thing wid the car...but the other emirates i mean ajman sharjah umm al quwain abu dhabi they create problems like u should not have

1. fat exaust wid sound in it
2. the car should have the jumps in it the car should not be to low
3. well if u need to change the color u should have the permission by the police
4. if ur planin to put turbi meters inside the car for decoration dont do it coz it is not allowed in the other emirates

so in simple words have two cars 1 modified and 2nd normal if u wanna go to other emirates take the non modified 1

plus if u do modify and come to sharjah or ajman the police catches u ..ur car goes directly to police station and u will have to pay 200 for the place ur car wil be put 100 for the car recovery the police will bring and 500 fine

u must be wonderin y i know coz i was cought many times but if u have wasta like i do thn u can do any thing wid the car and roam araound lol i have 2 modified cars

and secondly never listen to no1 u can have ur car lemo doors there is no such rule for the car...make ur car the way u like 1s u get the car modified who the hell wants to sell it yaar,,,,take care and if u want any other info on where to go for best modification and all contact me through emaik
my email id is
me_thelover@hotmail.co.uk