Rear mounted engines

This is the local/regional car enthusiasts forum. Talk about anything related to regional news & updates.
Al Baloushi
UB Junior Member

Post by Al Baloushi » 25 Jan 2006, 12:28 am

Hey guys i would like to know the list of cars, which have rear mounted engines with their model year. No matter if it is a right hand or left hand drive.
Last edited by Al Baloushi on 25 Jan 2006, 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alpha
Adminstrator
Vehicle:RNN14 + JZZ31 + CT9A

Post by Alpha » 25 Jan 2006, 8:11 am

You mean "Rear-mounted" engines? :)

Al Baloushi
UB Junior Member

Post by Al Baloushi » 25 Jan 2006, 1:10 pm

Yup sorry my mistake i was little sleepy at that time when i posted this msg.

Accord98
Vehicle:Toyoda

Post by Accord98 » 25 Jan 2006, 1:46 pm

most ferrari's, lamborghini, ???? :mrgreen:
Pagani Zonda
Ford GT
Porsche Carrera GT

Any super car??? --- is this the kinda info u looking for???

Or am i really off topic?

Al Baloushi
UB Junior Member

Post by Al Baloushi » 25 Jan 2006, 1:57 pm

Well Well i dont need that expensive car info :D i also know few cars that have but need to know more names and here are the names that i know..

Porsche Carrera GT (911)
VW Fox aka Foxy(old beetle :D )
MR2 (dont know which model)
these are the ones that i remember right now still looking for more name.

Alpha
Adminstrator

Post by Alpha » 25 Jan 2006, 6:13 pm

Well..

Honda NSX
Toyota MR2

:P

mikeh
UB Super Member
Vehicle:Lexus IS300

Post by mikeh » 25 Jan 2006, 9:59 pm

Define rear?

Behind the axles or behind the driver?

most Ferarri's and lamborghini's, carrera GT are mid engine cars, also all MR2's, NSX, Mc Laren, ... all mid engine.

One of the only rear engine-d cars is the 911.

Al Baloushi
UB Junior Member

Post by Al Baloushi » 25 Jan 2006, 11:32 pm

well i want an engine simillar to VW cuz they have their engine back and so i wanted a engine that would be easy to get and not expensive czu i am planning to built a buggy myself at my place so the main problem with me is geting an engine first wanted to fit a skyline engine but then the gear is giving me problem cuz they gonna be oppsite as it gonna fit backward so wanted to colllect all the information about the engine till i finish the body work and rest all the parts.

So mikeh i think rear engine would be the best one not the mid-engine. Is VW Beetle rear engine or mid-enging i think its rear not sure but need something simillar to that with more power and also avaiable in uae too.

mikeh
UB Super Member

Post by mikeh » 26 Jan 2006, 12:01 am

You're building a buggy? Damn, thats cool man!!

Dont know how far you are, but maybe check out Dragon Mart. They sell ready to build buggies for a mere 15,000 dirhams. I know some chinese people there that will probably get it down to 12 or something.

If it's gonna be fron scratch, your engine will probably be in a transversal position I assumm (horizontal) or longitudial (vertical)? Engines in the back or in the front are pretty much the same.. -if you are only talking about engines. If you want the drive train as well.. i'd suggest to get a beetle or something..

If it's only the engine, and you want some power.. I woulnd't go with the RB series (RB25 , RB26 .. skyline engines).. they are heavy and big. Why dont you look at SR20DET's (2 liter engine, 210 horsepower, usually transversal.. ) or the all mighty 4G63 (Engine from Evo's , Eclipses, ...) they generate a merely 210 horespower and are 2 liters as well.

Or, and now you'll start laughing.. get a 2 liter hyundai engine (the ones found in 2.0 Hyundai coupe's) ..

Yes, it's a hyundai
Yes , hyundai makes mobile phones as well..

..but..

Yes, you can with a reasonable amount of boost, you squeeze out 240 horsepower. Get a bigger turbo, and you'll be seeing 360 - 400 horsepower.. And it being hyundai, it's cheap.. Those 2 liter engines from hyundai are built like rocks and are boost happy.

Accord98
Vehicle:Toyoda

Post by Accord98 » 26 Jan 2006, 8:06 am

Hey Baloushi...

Hows ur site doing?? Come there sometimes, but not many updates :(

BUT.... could i ask a HUGE favor?

When your building the buggy, do you think that some of the members (well me for instance) could come and have a look, maybe help out and stuff ???????

What i mean is, i love cars, engines, anything on four wheels that moves --- but unfortuneately, i never have the opportunity to learn anything about them

If its a hassle forget bout it....
But Shalashaka -- wanna hold tutorials ?? :P :P :oops: :wink: :wink: j/k

Alpha
Adminstrator

Post by Alpha » 26 Jan 2006, 10:23 am

Accord98 wrote:But Shalashaka -- wanna hold tutorials ?? :P :P :oops: :wink: :wink: j/k
Not really man... I'm not much into engines and stuff <- I sure am interested to help out too!!

Baloushi, mee too? :D:) hehehe..

Al Baloushi
UB Junior Member

Post by Al Baloushi » 26 Jan 2006, 1:38 pm

Hey guys well i see many ppl are intrested in that too, well guys i dont mind any one comming any my place and looking at my work i would also like it cuz i will get more ideas from other ppl head :D and btw i have also planned to take out pics of each and everystep and make a simple page for it from the begning till the end.So till now my plans are to wait for 3 more days till next months start and i get some money and will go buy a DC welding machine and the tubes are gonan be use to make the chasis.

Hey mikeh thanks for the engine info well i dotn mind fitting any engine i have also seen hyundai engines too but the main thing is the 1st gear will be in the place of back gear and that will not affect me as when i get it ready and drive my hand will sit on it. And Btw those Dragon Mart buggies i have seen those they are not ment to be made for UAE Desert and i have also seen one chineese buggy in my friend garage one guy got it to change the engine and the brakes cuz if one guy catches the buggy from the back it wont go front.(think how much power it has that it cant pull one guy whois is holding it from behind) so that is why i thought of making one by my self.

Hey Accord the reason i am not able to update my site is cuz i couldnt go to the races that were held buz i was really busy wiht my studies and still i am but trying my best to update it. Well i dont mind any one comming at my place any one is welcomed :D . Well the book that i order right now is on the way that will help me out to make the buggy body only so Inshallah i will be start making the body by next month :D payday is near.

Well i have also a good idea whois gonna come at my place will treat him like a guest and will make it distract from everthing and will remove that person car engine and gonna fit it in the buggy so whois engine i am gonna get it free is it pulsar or accord :D :nono: :nono: j/k any way i will also infom u guys over here about the process of it.

The book has been sent on 23rd of this month and let see when its gonna reach at my place atleast it gonna take around 1 or 2 week.

Alpha
Adminstrator

Post by Alpha » 26 Jan 2006, 3:51 pm

I guess I'll be happy viewing the production pics (don't want to give away my SR20) :( hehehe.. Best of luck man. It's something you're gonna try for the first time but yes, you do have good experience in making custom grills for your Escudo and installing stuff in the car.

:) Good luck!! (Y)

Wicked
UB Senior Member

Post by Wicked » 26 Jan 2006, 4:39 pm

Al bloushiiii wow finally somone is building a car havent done that in a long time ... last i did was cut half of the car into half and weld other section back on and we restored and welded chassies for a 240 datsun or u guyz might call it fairlady old school or zx old skool ... when ru gona do that u dont have to buy a wedler machine is there places where u can rent it out i dont know ... if u wana do some welding give us a yell ill weld for u :P but hope u get the floor panel and all ready and cut the steel :P as for engines i cant help u much but i can always email my younger bro and he can help :P when u starting ? would love to help if i can am getting of das island in a week or so i hope if they didnt decline me since we go so much stuff to do here :( wasnt there somone who did a beach bugy with GT starlet engine and once i saw in motrex somone did a bugy with skyline engine i bet this fellow can drift ...let me practise my welds first hehehe been rusty for a year i didnt weld anything :(

mikeh
UB Super Member

Post by mikeh » 26 Jan 2006, 6:15 pm

Al Baloushi,

Wonderful to have you on this board. I'm pleased seeing such friendliness here.

For cars as well, you have an MR2 turbo in Al Aweer for 4000 aed. It has some dents and scratches, and only 70.000 km. The engine is in the back, and the transmission is a 5 speed manual. Depending on your negotiating, you can bring the car down to maybe... say - 2500 dirhams? And thats not bad... taking into account that you have a transmission and an engine already.

I didnt know that these chinese buggies are not "strong".

Yeah, please make pictures of everything, it'll be a great help.

Michael