Passing Cars in Dubai: Few Questions

This is the local/regional car enthusiasts forum. Talk about anything related to regional news & updates.
bennaiqbal
UB Junior Member
Vehicle:Audi A7 2013

Post by bennaiqbal » 04 Jul 2012, 9:59 pm

Guys,

I've used the search function to look for answers before i posted this, so please bear with me incase this is a already asked around here.

1. Is debadging your car alright during RTA vehicle renewal/passing?
2. I'm doing myself a Retrofit project with OEM projectors from The retrofit source on my Altima. It's not the cheap HID kit that blinds people around my car, its original stuff, is this an issue?

3. My car has a rear valence overlay, its a black covering (basically a carbon fibre look alike sticker) on top of my original paint at the back. is this an issue?

EDIT: Here's a pic of my valence overlay. http://cl.ly/Hqwc
Thanks a lot for your time! :)

Best

hk20
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:2011 Nissan Tiida HB - JDM Project

Post by hk20 » 04 Jul 2012, 10:34 pm

1. Not an issue, never heard of one from my friends whose done this and went for passing their cars.

2. Xenon is an issue with passing, but depends on the RTA guys, tell them it is from Showroom (Wakala - as they say) - OT: How did you get the retrofit one here? Do they have ones for Tiida with just xenon 6000k without any angel eyes or those crap, because im looking for one something of good quality to do in my tiida but the only place who does locally is Delta Plus, so before i choose to go a way i want to look out for options. Maybe if you don't mind mind can i come to see the DIY process and help you in the installation and learn myself to a DIY on my Tiida :D

3. Not a problem :)

Tribal
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:G35

Post by Tribal » 04 Jul 2012, 10:51 pm

Don't modify your OEM ones.. if you really want to mod, buy a new pair of headlights and do whatever you like :smile:

UnKnOwN x
UB Addicted Member

Post by UnKnOwN x » 04 Jul 2012, 11:18 pm

Other than the xenon i dont think you should have any problems at all.

CaL][CaB
UB Senior Member

Post by CaL][CaB » 05 Jul 2012, 10:00 am

Iv never ran into a situation where they checked my headlights :S
And yes! Your car is Legal to run here (Y)

bennaiqbal
UB Junior Member

Post by bennaiqbal » 05 Jul 2012, 9:18 pm

Thanks a lot for your reply guys. The police / RTA has generally banned Xenons, but I'm not keeping the ones that cause any harm to others on the road. I hope I can explain this to them and get it passed. Else I'll just swap them with an OEM headlight during passing. :arrow:
hk20 wrote:1. Not an issue, never heard of one from my friends whose done this and went for passing their cars.

2. Xenon is an issue with passing, but depends on the RTA guys, tell them it is from Showroom (Wakala - as they say) - OT: How did you get the retrofit one here? Do they have ones for Tiida with just xenon 6000k without any angel eyes or those crap, because im looking for one something of good quality to do in my tiida but the only place who does locally is Delta Plus, so before i choose to go a way i want to look out for options. Maybe if you don't mind mind can i come to see the DIY process and help you in the installation and learn myself to a DIY on my Tiida :D

3. Not a problem :)
Thanks a lot man! :)

I'm actually getting the Morimoto H1 Bi Xenon Projectors from TRS, and getting it shipped to UAE. It's OEM quality and can go into any car. I'm doing this myself as a summer home project. The projectors that you get here are cheap and doesn't give OEM quality always. Plus when you do it yourself, you know what you've done to your car and make sure nothing is wrong. Plus the HID kits that you get here are mostly useless and will only cause damage to the car. I'm ordering them in a day or two and they should probably be here in a week or two! :) Sure it'd be great to have a companion Nissan friend along (Y)

Tribal wrote:Don't modify your OEM ones.. if you really want to mod, buy a new pair of headlights and do whatever you like :smile:

That's exactly what I'm planning on doing. I've been looking around for a pair of Altima headlights.I looked around a few places in sharjah and they're even asking me about AED300 per side for the headlights. Even broken ones :roll: Do you have any idea where I could get them for a cheap rate?

Tribal
UB Senior Member
Vehicle:G35

Post by Tribal » 05 Jul 2012, 10:33 pm

Keep checking scrap yards in Sharjah.. you will find it its an Altima after all.. one of the most common cars.. shouldn't be more then 300 for a Pair! can also check with ur insurance company maybe their garage might be having

soflow
UB Addicted Member

Post by soflow » 05 Jul 2012, 11:13 pm

bennaiqbal wrote: I'm actually getting the Morimoto H1 Bi Xenon Projectors from TRS, and getting it shipped to UAE. It's OEM quality and can go into any car. I'm doing this myself as a summer home project. The projectors that you get here are cheap and doesn't give OEM quality always. Plus when you do it yourself, you know what you've done to your car and make sure nothing is wrong. Plus the HID kits that you get here are mostly useless and will only cause damage to the car. I'm ordering them in a day or two and they should probably be here in a week or two! :) Sure it'd be great to have a companion Nissan friend along (Y)
wow you must be the only guy besides me running the morimotos here in uae. kudos for doing a proper retrofit.
oh and no way it will pass (i have tried many testing places in dubai), once they see the wires going from battery and the hid ballasts and relay harness, game over. i even tried hiding the ballast under the headlight housing, but cant really do anything about the wire going from the batttery terminals.

i did the retrofit into a set of headlights in found in shj for 300aed for a pair. i put my oem headlights back on each year before testing :( then put the retrofited ones back
do note driving through abu dhabi/shj i have got stopped by cops for the xenons, good luck trying to explain to them what a retrofit is. best thing to do is apologize and promise to take it off asap.

thing is the cops know cars like atima, civic, accord etc s dont come with a projector setup so its considered aftermarket and hence 'illegal'

on the bright side, your headlights will be 10 times better than the halogen altima and properly focused beam pattern

bennaiqbal
UB Junior Member

Post by bennaiqbal » 06 Jul 2012, 11:05 am

Wow. Do you drive an Altima as well? I was looking forward to get the LED Halo Angel eyes as well, but since you told me about Sharjah police, does that make a difference? I mean when the see those, they definitely know mine is modded. This idiots always make me disappointed about modding my car. Thing is, though I live in Dubai, I always roam around Sharjah because I study there in AUS.

I'm pretty sure this jerks will stop me now and then because I have a quality projector on the car. :twisted: :(

Oh and for the passing, that was my plan too lol, switch every time. Damn. Would those guys consider passing if they dont see the wirings from the battery? Wouldn't it be possible to tap power from the stock wirings that run to the halogen bulbs?

soflow
UB Addicted Member

Post by soflow » 06 Jul 2012, 5:34 pm

the hid ballasts need power from battery (just like an aftermarket amplifier needs for example).

dont get halo angel eyes and rice out your car. really the MH1 projects are more than enough, go for function over form. the more subtle the mods are less chance of cops giving you trouble

only way to avoid it to try and tap into the fuse box maybe? im no expert so not sure

bennaiqbal
UB Junior Member

Post by bennaiqbal » 07 Jul 2012, 11:46 pm

soflow wrote:the hid ballasts need power from battery (just like an aftermarket amplifier needs for example).

dont get halo angel eyes and rice out your car. really the MH1 projects are more than enough, go for function over form. the more subtle the mods are less chance of cops giving you trouble

only way to avoid it to try and tap into the fuse box maybe? im no expert so not sure
So I'm getting the projector alone! :)

BTW are you running Morimoto v5.0? If not, are there any issues with it so far? While switching on the high beams. How is the startup time and overall performance of the projectors?

soflow
UB Addicted Member

Post by soflow » 08 Jul 2012, 8:02 am

I have the v4. no issues with it so far. just aligning them perfectly takes some time. upgrading from your halogens you will notice a big difference in performance and light output. trust me you will be happy. are you going to do the install yourself?
if you take it to a shop, please please supervise them else i can gurantee you they will mess it up.

buy the whole kit frm trs including the ballasts etc. I got an old set of ballasts frm trs (3+yrs old) so it takes about 3 seconds to warm up.

i heard the newer ones are much faster. also when you get the bulbs dont go over 5000k.

bennaiqbal
UB Junior Member

Post by bennaiqbal » 08 Jul 2012, 5:28 pm

Great!

Oh hell no, I'm doing the retrofit myself. I know this people here, they randomly take out stuff and mess the whole thing up. I recently went out with my friend to change his headlight bulbs, we also brought him new Philips bulbs, and told him not to touch the glass on the bulb. He just messed up the whole thing. I'm doing it all myself. :) Though it might take a while, I know I'll get it done perfectly.

I was planning on getting the 5000k because they're not too blue and not plain white like the 4300k either. Is the 5000k's light spectrum similar to the ones that we see in the new Mercedes lights? I just wanted a premium look, at the same time, don't wanna compromise on visibility as well.

soflow
UB Addicted Member

Post by soflow » 08 Jul 2012, 9:00 pm

yeah 5000k is pure white (maybe very very lil blue from some angles), the new mercs got a bit of purple i think.
good luck on the retro. opening the headlights and resealing them are the hardest part.
i would highly recommend you get the butly tape from trs as well as its almost impossible to get rtv silicone here.
i used the normal silicone from ace hardware and it fogged up inside my headlights in some parts.

Moustafa
UB Junior Member

Post by Moustafa » 23 Aug 2012, 4:22 pm

Sorry to bring such an old topic back lol, But I was wondering if you finished installing your projectors? Any pics? And is this the kit you got?
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/produc ... cts_id=227
Im a big noob when it comes to lighting in cars and I dont know that much , but luckily I got an altima too and was just thinking about doing a Bi-Xenon setup on each headlight and I live in al-ain so I probably wont have problem in check-ups etc :)
Thanks in advance!