UP Team Shootout! 10 UB Drivers! 8 April 2008

Archived Past Events with photo galleries and all information.
Alpha
Adminstrator
Vehicle:RNN14 + JZZ31 + CT9A

Post by Alpha » 24 Mar 2008, 3:23 pm

Venue: Kartdrome, Dubai Autodrome
Date: 8 April 2008
Race starts: 4pm onwards

Dubai Autodrome is giving a chance to 10 UAE Boost drivers to sign up to participate in a media event on 8 April starting at 4pm at the Kartdrome in Dubai Autodrome which will incorporate racing karts against media, VIPs and some lesser known drivers.

All ten UB drivers, once confirmed, will receive invites to attend the event and enjoy this great opportunity! It is important at this point for all who sign up to ensure that your email address in your profile is valid and working as your invitations will be emailed to you with further details.

Please note: All drivers must bring a copy of your driving license with you that I will receive from you for ID records. You will NOT be allowed to drive until this copy is submitted to me.

stone-head
UB Senior Member

Post by stone-head » 24 Mar 2008, 3:34 pm

so can I attend the parking shoot out then do the Kart ??
I'm a bit greedy what can I do :wink:
if not please let me know

sr20det
UB Dedicated Member
Vehicle:2004 Subaru Legacy

Post by sr20det » 24 Mar 2008, 4:19 pm

I am still quite a newbie at uaeboost, can I participate? :D

Alpha
Adminstrator

Post by Alpha » 24 Mar 2008, 4:36 pm

stone-head wrote:so can I attend the parking shoot out then do the Kart ??
I'm a bit greedy what can I do :wink:
if not please let me know
It depends on the timings of the karting that we are offered. We don't know the times of the Team Shootout event on the day, yet.
sr20det wrote:I am still quite a newbie at uaeboost, can I participate? :D
Members with 100+ posts only. Sorry.

sr20det
UB Dedicated Member
Vehicle:2004 Subaru Legacy

Post by sr20det » 24 Mar 2008, 4:51 pm

So can I try to make my post reach 100 then join? :D

prossett
UB Advanced Member
Vehicle:Honda Jazz

Post by prossett » 24 Mar 2008, 7:38 pm

What's the relation between the Apr 8th challenge and the UP Team Shootout on Apr 11-12?

Since I can't do the weekend of Apr 11-12, I don't want to put my name down for Apr 8th and take away the chance for someone.

We should also book in at least one practice session to get to know the track and beef up some technique. As far as I know, how you take the curves is crucial and so we need to work on the approach lines especially.

Alpha
Adminstrator

Post by Alpha » 24 Mar 2008, 7:59 pm

prossett wrote:What's the relation between the Apr 8th challenge and the UP Team Shootout on Apr 11-12?
All ten UB drivers will then be invited to join in the UP Team Shootout at the eve of the Grand Racing event on the 11-12 April at the Autodrome! :!:
...if all the signed up drivers first attend the media event on April 8...
We should also book in at least one practice session to get to know the track and beef up some technique. As far as I know, how you take the curves is crucial and so we need to work on the approach lines especially.
Based on the very little karting experience I have, I suppose two or more laps are enough to get to know the course, and I hope we get few more laps than that in total! It's not a very big course - the only thing to really worry about is controlling the speed on the corners - else you would simply be doing 360 degrees and end up into those tyres round the corners.

prossett
UB Advanced Member

Post by prossett » 24 Mar 2008, 9:31 pm

Well, it depends on how competitive we want to get - if we want to come out in front of the media, VIPs and lesser-known racers, we've got to shave off seconds, and 2-3 warm-up laps ain't going to cut it.

The key to performance on a circuit is consistent application of curve lines until the feel of the razor-edge is clear and tangible; when you feel intuitively where the limit is on each curve - and then all you do is ride that limit each time, trying to not drop below it, and definitely not go over it. That's why it takes 100% concentration and also why it's a mental game.

So first we need to know what the lines are until they are memorized, and then we need to ride them to the limit until each curve is second nature.

Tell you the truth I really don't mind how we place, but I sure want to give 100% what we've got! :!:

Each lap is automatically timed by a transponder installed to the go-kart, so I guess the total time of the 10 drivers is what counts - so it's a team game, trying to keep each round up.

Still don't get what the UP Team Shootout is :$ I understand that the 10 driver of Apr 8th will get invited to it, but what is it? A race? Watching the race?

hater999
UB Advanced Member

Post by hater999 » 24 Mar 2008, 10:37 pm

yeah PR
me confused too
and how could it bee free???

Alpha
Adminstrator

Post by Alpha » 24 Mar 2008, 10:53 pm

prossett wrote:Still don't get what the UP Team Shootout is :$ I understand that the 10 driver of Apr 8th will get invited to it, but what is it? A race? Watching the race?
Let me just get more clear with Peevee regarding this.

prossett
UB Advanced Member

Post by prossett » 24 Mar 2008, 11:00 pm

Thanks bud! (Y)

hater999, it's free because Dubai Autodrome wants to be in partnership with established and rockin' 8) clubs of car enthusiasts, because after all we are the racing community, and we are their grassroots community supporters; so offering a race for uaeboost is a win-win situation in a partnership... you know, I've already told a bunch of people who didn't even know there was karting for people dropping in at the Autodrome - they assumed it was professionals only.

So the goodwill generated is both ways and it expands - and that's all uaeboosters' job too: if you're happy about going karting, then spread the good word about them! 8)

RasHooD
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Nissan Cefiro A31 Turbo

Post by RasHooD » 25 Mar 2008, 6:07 am

hey prossett! i cant do the 8th april event as i work 4 days a week and am off on monday, tuesday, and friday... as you cant do the 11-12th april event... why dont we share one application? like you can show up for the 8th april event and i do for the 11-12th thing?

do get back to me about this... this is a real break from the routines (Y)

prossett
UB Advanced Member

Post by prossett » 25 Mar 2008, 7:04 am

Good thinking, !-RasHooD-! - let's see what the UP Team Shoot-out is and then we can decide! (Y)

RasHooD
UB Special Member
Vehicle:Nissan Cefiro A31 Turbo

Post by RasHooD » 25 Mar 2008, 7:06 am

cool! do let me know buddy :)

cheers

stone-head
UB Senior Member

Post by stone-head » 25 Mar 2008, 9:21 am

BTW the Kart car is their own ?? right
how about the racing gear ( helmet , gloves , suit, etc... ) ?
is it provided or we should bring ours ?
I don't have helmet :( :(